Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake

This tasty breakfast cake I found on the "The Country Cook" Blog - a really wonderful place with all sorts of great recipes!!  This particular one she adapted from a recipe from Hungryjack.com.  I think what intrigued me about it was the use of pancake mix - I never thought about using pancake mix for anything but pancakes - but this cake proves me wrong and works a treat!!  I made some slight variations and here's my version...

Ingredients
2 1/2 C Pancake Mix (I used Trader Joe's Pancake and Baking mix)
1/3 C Sugar
1/2 C Mini semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
1/2 C Sour Cream
1/2 Teas Vanilla Extract
2 Large Eggs
2 Tbls Vanilla Coffee Creamer

Topping
1/4 C Sugar
1/2 Teas Ground Cinnamon
1/2 Teas Ground Nutmeg
1/4 C Walnuts or Pecans (I used about 3/4 C Pecans) chopped

Glaze
1/2 C Icing Sugar
1Tbls Milk

Directions
Preheat Oven to 375 degrees
Heavily Grease an 8 inch square pan or dish (I also gave it a spray with Pam)
Combine pancake mix, sugar and chips in a medium bowl.  In another bowl mix together sour cream, vanilla, eggs and creamer.  Add the liquid to the dry and mix together until well combined.  Batter will be very thick.  Using an ice-cream scoop, scoop out batter and place in 3 x 3 rows in prepared pan.

Mix together topping ingredients and sprinkle over the batter.

Bake about 25 or so minutes - or until golden brown or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.  When done let cool in pan for a few minutes - then take out and place on serving dish.

Whisk together icing sugar and milk in a small bowl. Drizzle over the warm cake.  Serve warm.  This cake is delicious when warm and right tasty the next morning, but drys out quickly when exposed to air for any length of time.

1 comment:

  1. Love this Edgar. Fantastic job. I really like what you did with the cake- gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete