Tuesday, March 13, 2012

An Easy Pineapple Upside Cake

I waffled back and forth between recipes for this cake and finally went "easy and delicious!!"  This recipe can be found on the Betty Crocker web site - a great place to find some super cooking ideas!  It is very simple and I think delicious - a moist tasty cake with fruit on top - can you beat that!  I only made a single change - and it was really a personal preference - but here goes...

Ingredients...

1/4 C Butter
1 C Packed Dark Brown Sugar
1 Can (20 Oz) Pineapple slices in juice, drained, reserve juice
1 Jar (6 oz) Maraschino cherries without stems - drained
1 Box Betty Crocker Supermoist yellow cake mix
 -  oil and eggs called for on box -


Directions....

1 - Preheat oven - 350 degrees.  In a 13 x 9 x2 pan, melt butter in oven.  Here is where I made a change - I sprayed the pan first with PAM - just a precaution I wanted to take.  Sprinkle brown sugar over melted butter.  Arrange pineapple slices on brown sugar.  Place cherries in centers and around the slices - press gently into the sugar/butter.


2 - Add enough water to reserved pineapple juice to make 1 cup.  Make cake batter as directed on box, substituting pineapple juice mixture for the water.  Pour batter over pineapple and cherries.

3 - Bake about 40 or so minutes - or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Immediately run a knife around the edges of pan to loosen cake.  I let mine sit in the pan for about 10 minutes then turned it out onto a serving platter leaving the pan on top for an additional 15 to 20 minutes... This lets the brown sugar drizzle over the cake - remove pan.  Cool for about 30 minutes.  Serve warm or cool.  Store covered in the refrigerator.


There you go an easy and tasty dessert - enjoy!! 

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad you posted this, I have to make one for a birthday for work tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for this recipe. I made it an its delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was wonderful! I used light brown sugar instead of dark.

    ReplyDelete