Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Pat's Rum Cake

This is a Holiday cake - or really anytime - I just associate it with the holidays.  It was passed to my Mom by a friend of hers at least 25+ years ago.  It is an easy cake and quite tasty - I hope you enjoy it - 

For the Cake
1 C chopped pecans
1 (18 1/2 oz) Yellow cake mix
1 (3 3/4 oz) Vanilla instant pudding mix
1/2 C Dark Rum
1/2 C Water
1/2 C Vegetable Oil
4 Eggs (room Temp)
1 recipe Hot Glaze

Preheat oven to 325 - grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan - (I usually grease and sugar the pan, then sprinkle a little flour over the sugar)  Sprinkle the nuts all over the bottom.  


Mix the cake mix, pudding mix, rum, water, oil and eggs in a mixer for at least 4 minutes.  Pour this batter over the nuts and bake for 50 to 60 minutes - checking to see if it is done at about 50 minutes with a toothpick.
When cake is done take out of oven and set aside.  Make Hot Glaze - 

Hot Glaze Ingredients - 
1 C Sugar
1/2 C Butter
1/4 C Dark Rum
1/4 C Water

Combine all the ingredients and bring to boil.  Boil for at least 3 minutes - stirring the whole time.  

 
I usually cook this a few extra minutes as I like this glaze the be a bit thicker.  Pour Hot Glaze over Hot cake - Let Cake cool in the pan at least 30 minutes before trying to remove.  Run a knife around the edges before removing.  Slice and enjoy.


1 comment:

  1. Oooooo. I recognize the rum from my native home Jamaica. Mother used it in her cakes also. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete