Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Mud Hen Bars

I found this recipe over at "The Country Cook" on Weekend Potluck - where I was directed over to "Cooking with K" and she adapted it from Mommy's Kitchen - so from wherever it originally came I thank you all!!! ...  I love the Blogs!!!  It is very easy and comes together quickly  I made a couple of small changes....

Mud Hen Bars

Ingredients

1/2 C Butter, room temperature
1 C White Sugar
3 Eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 C AP Flour
1 teas Baking Powder
1/4 teas Salt
1 C Nuts Chopped (I used a mix of walnuts and pecans)
1/2 C Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
1 C Marshmallows (I used miniature, it's what I had)
1 C Brown Sugar

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  


In a medium bowl cream together the white sugar and butter.  Ad 1 whole egg, beat well.  Separate the remaining two eggs - add the yolks one at a time beating well after each addition, reserve egg whites for later use.  In another bowl sift together the flour, salt and baking powder.  Add flour mixture to creamed mixture a little at a time and mix well.  Spread evenly into a greased 9 x 13 pan, Although the original recipe does not call for it I sprayed the pan with "baking " Pam - and was glad I did.  Mix together the marshmallows, nuts and chips and spread evenly over the cake bottom in the pan.


Beat eggs whites until very stiff peaks form.  Fold in the brown sugar and spread evenly over the chips/nuts/marshmallows.  Bake for about 30 to 40 minutes OR until meringue is golden brown and the cake is done.  I would start to check this at about 22 minutes I cooked mine for 30 and it was just a tad too brown - 


Cool in pan before cutting.


No comments:

Post a Comment